I was working in a camera store in the mid-1960's.  It was a regional
chain that had about 30 or 40 stores over several states.

There were several models of Instamatics that started at about
$15-$20.  They came boxed with the flash bulb or cube of the day and a
126 cartridge of print film.

The simple fact that you didn't have to have the skill necessary to
wind the film on a take-up spool opened up photography to thousands of
people.  We still had several people that had older cameras that would
bring in the camera, we would take the used film out for processing,
then sell them a new roll and load it for them.

The Instamatics sold like hotcakes and around holidays and graduation
time it was hard to keep them in stock.  More expensive models had
better light meters, auto-film advance that worked on a wind-up
mechanism, etc.  We had no problem selling them at full retail because
when you bought one from us, you got a "lifetime" guarantee.  The
small print said that was not your lifetime, but the lifetime of the
camera.  Defined to be as long as parts were available.  In those
days, that was several years.  People actually repaired stuff back
then.

In that time period almost everyone shot Kodak color print film.
Standard processing time was a week to 10 days.  It seem like the cost
for that was somewhere between $10 and $15.  Mini-labs, free double
prints and cheap processing were still a few years away.  Our camera
chain ran the biggest processing lab in the area.  Almost all of the
drugstores and other places that "developed" your film actually sent
it to us.

You could specify processing at the Kodak lab.  It would be sent to an
actual Kodak run lab.  That took longer and cost additional.

I shot 35mm slides because the processing was fast and cheap.  $4 a
roll and 24 hour processing was standard.  If you got your film in by
7am you could get it back the same day.

Keep in mind, those are prices are in 1966-7 dollars.

As to quality?  Maybe it wasn't great but It was certainly more than
good enough.  Our store normally took in 50-100 rolls a day and did
less than a dozen enlargements of any size.   After a big holiday you
can multiply those numbers by 2 or 3.

Even 35mm prints were typically 3x5 with a border.  Borderless 4x6
prints didn't become common for a few years.

A few years later Kodak consumer cameras went to even smaller
negatives with the Disc and 110 film sizes.

gs

George Sinos
gsi...@gmail.com
www.georgesphotos.net