On Apr 10, 2013, at 2:55 PM, Bob W <p...@web-options.com> wrote:

> On 10 Apr 2013, at 16:16, Aahz Maruch <a...@pobox.com> wrote:

>>> Not my beliefs. I'm agnostic. But mankind has always found something
>>> to believe in, and a new system of beliefs always involves rejection
>>> of the old. Today's secularists are to christians what the christians
>>> and jews were to sun worshipers thousands of years ago.
>>
>> You are mixing up beliefs, gods, and worship.  You are making as much
>> sense as Humpty Dumpty.
>>
> and confusing atheism and secularism. Secularism does not imply atheism.
> Secularism is about the distinction between religion and, essentially, state;
> so the notion of a 'shrine of secularism' is a contradiction in terms. You
> could be the most God-fearing Christian this side of Eden and still be a
> secularist, and still have secular, that is non-church, matters to deal with,
> and secularist ideas. Or, you could take the view that all of life should be
> subject to religious law, and be wholly opposed to all forms of secularism.
>
> Atheism is an absence of a particular belief, it is not a belief in itself.
> Atheists, like all people, obviously have beliefs, but there is not a body of
> interlocking ideas that one could call atheism, or practices that atheists
> undertake as a function of their atheism, and even if there were it could not
> be called a religion since the defining property of a religion is that it
> believes in the existence of at least one god, and the defining property of
> atheism is that it rejects all belief in gods.
>
> Now, some atheists may have big christmas displays, but that does not mean
> that that is some necessary part of atheism. Christmas is now far more of a
> cultural festival than a religious one  - probably always has been, given
> that the Puritans banned it. Similarly, many atheists have ceremonies and
> take part in ritual practices such as weddings and baby-namings that parallel
> those of Christians and other religious people, but that's not because they
> want a substitute religion, it's because people everywhere feel a need for
> rites of passage, and that need has historically been co-opted by religion.

A simplistic reading of the situation. Of course atheism and secularism are
different. I'm not confusing them, but atheists are generally secularists.
Many atheists and the secularists, which are indeed different, have in their
fervor developed belief systems and become angry when others express religious
beliefs. They have made their belief system a rallying point and effectively a
substitute for religion.

Paul