Bong!

The below implies that atheists  ("they") are a group that meets and gets
together and makes joint decisions. I  suppose there is an atheist society
somewhere, but very few atheists belong to  it.

It also implies that secularists ("they") are such a group as well.  You
night relook up the definition for secular.

It's like that ubiquitous  "they" used in bad reporting.

HTH, Marnie aka Doe :-)