Pentax has gone through a lot of changes in the last decade. In the late 90's Pentax offered a lens lineup that was easily on par with Canon and Nikon and offered a lot of specialty items. On the long end - 600mm f4, 400mm f2.8, 300mm f2.8, 400mm f5.6 - and short end - 15mm, 20mm autofocus and the F 17-24 fisheye.... They also had an excellent range of macro lenses and enjoyed full third party support from Sigma, Tamron, and Tokina. But they missed the transition to auto focus bodies big time and were playing catchup in camera bodies, particularly WRT AF and evaluative metering. Today the the lens lineup is much weaker, though it is improving. Pentax still lags on bodies though at this particular moment in digital camera design that is more in regards to sensor format and megapixels.

If and when I can't get Pentax gear to do what I want to do, I'll switch brands. I spent a bit of money on a replacement for my A*200mm macro lens a while back, but it was a calculate decision. I set my top purchase price at something less than the cost of a comparable Nikon or Canon body, their 200 or 180 macro, and flash and other essentials for a new system. For me, that analysis highlighted the costs that come with switching. Making a total transition from one system to another, if you are seriously invested in lenses, bodied and flashes, is very expensive. Selling your old gear and buying new is expensive. Trying to maintain two systems is even more expensive.

If one is lightly invested then it makes sense to move on. Or start a second system. For me, buying into the Q system is really just going iwth a second system since there is only limited overlap with the core Pentax gear that I already have (mostly wrt flashes.)

I am hoping that we see something out of Pentax - Ricoh that tells us that they are serious about the K-AF mount and it's corresponding glass. I really don't care if they lag the market regarding FF dslr, but let's face it - the day is not far off when FF will be the consumer standard for DSLR. The most worrisome thing that I can interpret form Pentax Ricoh's comments on FF DSLR's is that they may think that FF is a passing fad. That would be delusional thinking - something that the old Asahi Pentax might have indulged in but Ricoh is a much smarter and hardened company. After all, Ricoh was one of the first significant film camera manufacturer to get out of the film business and switch to digital only.

These days, I am just shooting as a hobbyist and all my needs are met with the glass I currently own and the bodies I currently have. While I want new toys and would love to have a full frame dslr, I don't need one and am happy with the images I get from the K5. I didn't give a damn about the poor AF and AE Metering of the PZ series of bodies back in the 90's either. But I am reluctant to continue to invest in a system whose future is up in the air. I would certainly never buy something like the DA 560 unless I knew what body would be around to use with it in the future.

There is a lot of uncertainty regarding Pentax's future direction regarding bodies and glass. They seem to be aware of this and the lens roadmaps appear to an attempt to address that. A road map WRT bodies would be even more important.

Mark