On 14/04/2013 5:46 AM, Aahz Maruch wrote:
On Sun, Apr 14, 2013, Mark C wrote:
I am hoping that we see something out of Pentax - Ricoh that tells
us that they are serious about the K-AF mount and it's corresponding
glass. I really don't care if they lag the market regarding FF dslr,
but let's face it - the day is not far off when FF  will be the
consumer standard for DSLR.
I'm wondering if it won't go the other way, and the standard will be the 4/3 format. I realize that these cameras aren't DSLRs per se, but I'm also wondering if that really matters all that much. I handled a Panasonic GH3 the other day as well as an OM-D. Both are electronic viewfinder cameras, so have a fairly traditional finder but no mirror. and are close enough to DSLR in operation that the lack of a mirror is moot. While I don't like the electronic finders (they give me a headache), I certainly see some advantages (the viewfinder changing brightness as light levels change, for example). Pentax, Nikon and Canon will be the last men standing with SLRs, but whether they stay mainstream or become rump manufacturers is a question. Canon has shown in the past that they have no problems changing lens mounts and abandoning their customer base. If they get into 4/3 in a big way, I would be very worried, were I a Canon DSLR user.

Maybe.  Assuming I buy an SLR, I'm basically wavering between the K-5 and
the OM-D, I certainly don't want anything bulkier/heavier (especially for
telephoto work).  I picked Pentax for my upcoming cruise because I wanted
weather sealing and m4/3 is really lacking there.  I suspect it's not
just cost that keeps people from full-frame even now, given the overall
success of m4/3.
The 4/3 cameras are really nicely sized, and the newer generations of photographers aren't as wrapped up in what the sensor size is as us old school guys.

bill