On Mon, Apr 15, 2013, Larry Colen wrote:

> What photos are you losing because your gear isn't performing well
> enough, or because it doesn't have a feature that you need? And in
> what situations does this present itself?  If there is a work around,
> what do you need to do to get the shot?
>
> Poor autofocus?  Can't use the flash in the rain?  Don't have enough
> resolution to make wall sized prints?

Here, I'll play along with my Nikon P7100 (high-end P&S with 1/1.7"
sensor):

* Can't get shallow DOF except with macro, probably could learn to work
around this with photo editing

* Insufficient telephoto for some kinds of nature shots (28-200 equiv,
I'm mostly not about wide-angle)

* Good resolution maxes out at ISO400, 800 is usable, 1600 is desperation
(or web-only); poor low-light performance particularly with telephoto as
aperture closes

* Dynamic range a tiny bit constricted, exposure metering often blows
highlights (easily handled with the dedicated EV dial)

* Slow card-writing performance, not really suitable for action
photograpy (not a big deal for me, and I knew this going in, all reviews
mention it)

* Shutter speed maxes at 1/2000, aperture minimizes to F8 -- good thing
there's a built-in 3-stop ND filter for bright light

* 10MP means no wall-sized prints  ;-)

Overall, the only thing that really drives my wanting a better camera is
low-light, I'd live with the rest easily enough.  I note that I did
experience some of the AF issues mentioned by others with the K-5, which
rarely happens with my P7100 (that's why it's a P&S!).
--
Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6                        http://rule6.info/