On 4/27/2013 8:29 AM, Aahz Maruch wrote:
On Fri, Apr 26, 2013, kwal...@peoplepc.com wrote:
I agree its a great portrait of the gentleman but overall the image
is greatly degraded by such a large bright background distraction.
Count me as a vote for "slightly degraded, not worth changing because the
rest is so great, didn't even really notice it until other people
complained".  For me, it's the shadow of the right eye (with the eye
itself glaring out) that really draws my attention and makes the picture,
it would be worse if the lighting had been improved as some people
suggested.

Particularly in a collection, you are likely to have other shots with the
jukebox, so it becomes an essential part of the background feel.

Don't even think of adding color IMO.
Thank you, Aahz.

I completely agree about keeping it b&w. The image loses all its impact in color -- to my eye, at least.

As for the exposure issues, I've always taken a fairly conservative approach to fixing that kind of stuff, albeit purely out of necessity. Since I have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to such things, I've found that most of my attempts to fix exposure problems end up rendering the image unusable. So, I generally opt to leave the flaws in (when I notice them) and hope they sneak by.

-- Walt