On Mon, Apr 29, 2013, P.J. Alling wrote:

> I've tried to get an answer about this on a number of fora but so
> far nothing helpful has come my way.  I finally upgraded my desktop
> to WinXP.  I was getting tired of having to Hack Win2K to get new
> software and hardware to work properly so when I had my last primary
> hard drive failure I decided to join the first decade of the 21st
> century, but I've run into a problem.  Most every time I attempt to
> search my system for a file the OS locks up.  I have an insane
> amount of storage for this box, 5TB in internal and external drives
> but then I had an insane amount of storage on the Win2K
> installantion as well, and that didn't hang up on a search.

First stupid question: do you have all the patches for WinXP?  If no,
fix that first.

Second stupid question: did you upgrade or do a clean install?  If
upgrade, maybe consider backing up and starting from scratch.

Also, what happens if you search just a subset of your data?
--
Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6                        http://rule6.info/