My stab in the dark would be that you have some kind or file
corruption that hangs the search or alternately some odd character or
naming convention in a set of file names? As a tet you could try a
third party search tool and an external drive repair/analysis tool (I
assume that you've thoroughly checked the drives with the integrated
XP tool set?)

--
Rob Studdert (Digital  Image Studio)
Tel: +61-418-166-870 UTC +10 Hours