On Tue, May 07, 2013, knarftheria...@gmail.com wrote:

> The fact that your insurance premiums go into a pool and pay for the
> collisions of others does not make it public money. You may choose
> your insurance company, you may choose different levels of coverage
> or you may choose not to pay insurance (if you don't drive a motor
> vehicle).

Choice is overrated.  The vast majority of people have strictly limited
ability to choose, if only because time is finite.  There are more and
more recent studies showing this -- for example, 401k participation
skyrockets when the default is opt-in rather than opt-out.

For the non-US: "401k" is a kind of private pension system

There are significant societal benefits to steering people into default
choices that are better, although I'm certainly libertarian enough that
I'd prefer benefits for compliance rather than penalties for failure to
comply.

On the gripping hand, "societal benefit" is very much a political topic.
For example, the obesity panic turns out to have little scientific
evidence behind it.

This probably ties into buying camera equipment somehow...
--
Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6                        http://rule6.info/