In the early 80's Microsoft practically gave away their PCs and all their
software to many government offices. They even included the bookcase for all
those maroon boxes with gold lettering. Out went the Wang terminals, in came
the PCs.

I imagine it was in response to Apple outfitting many of the school systems in
the country with Apple ][ setup at just above cost. It took MS decades to
overcome that head-start in education.

Back them, there was a dichotomy between educational computing and business.
Apple even had some university's telling students that had to have a Macintosh
laptop for some courses.

The games they play.

Apple DID have a assembly facility in Ireland in the late eighties. I had
always assumed that was still in operation. No longer, apparently. It makes
sense to keep their overseas billions there. Easier to pay the Chinese and
other manufacturers from there rather than sending them good old US currency!

On May 20, 2013, at 16:23 , P.J. Alling wrote:

> On 5/19/2013 11:26 PM, Doug Franklin wrote:

>>> Deep pockets help after the fact, not necessary before.
>>
>> Bullshit.  Deep pockets lead to "grease", in this case, avoiding the "after
>> the fact" completely
>
> Many large corporations do use exactly that.  However you could have told
> that to Microsoft.  They didn't actually start that behavior until after the
> anti trust action.  I guess they thought that they were immune.  I'm not
> saying they weren't evil and corrupt, just not in that way until after they
> got burned.

Joseph McAllister
     Pentaxian