> [snip]  so I just have to bring along my mint green A*400/2.8 :-).
> [snip] I'm leaving from O'Hare- and meet all the carry on
> requirements, but a bit concerned that they won't like this big,
> heavy, club like item in my carry on.  I don't really trust
> checking it, even in it's case.  [snip]

No guarantees that anything that we could say will automatically get
you and your lens on a plane, Ryan - <g>.  Besides, since you've got
one of the ~green~ big A* lenses, any security person who has seen
only ~white~ big A* lenses in print is gonna be suspicious - <g>.

Seriously, I would try to carry it on, but be willing to have it
hand inspected as well as x-rayed if necessary.  Maybe you should
make sure that the the aperture is already set wide open, so that a
security person could easily look through the lens from one end to
the other with the two caps off (to see that it's nothing but air
and beautiful SMC glass from one end to the other).

That's about all I can think of, except maybe to smile a lot.  ;-)

Fred