On 31 May 2013, at 13:10, Bruce Walker <bruce.wal...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 7:03 PM, Walt <ldott...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> The guide number tells you how powerful the flash. It's of no real
>>> consequence in practical shooting.
>>>
>>> To use flash manually,
>>>
>>> 0. Set the flash to manual
>>>
>>> 1. Set the ISO value on the scale on the flash
>>>
>>> 2. set the shutter speed to the flash sync speed, or lower
>>>
>>> 3. Measure the flash to subject distance - you should be able read this
>>> off the focus scale, but if you're bouncing the flash use the distance from
>>> the flash to the point on the ceiling, and double it.
>>>
>>> 4. On the flash scale, read off the correct aperture for the flash-subject
>>> distance
>>>
>>> 5. Set that aperture on your camera
>>>
>>> 6. Focus and shoot
>>>
>>> You can vary the flash output, eg for fill flash, by lying to it about the
>>> ISO.
>>>
>>> Setting the shutter speed slower than the flash sync speed gives you a bit
>>> of ambient light and some motion blur against the flash-frozen bit.

>> Thanks, Bob.
>>
>> Although, strangely enough, there's no ISO scale on the flash as far as I
>> can tell. None of the function buttons on the back seems to bring up any
>> indicators. I'll have to do a little digging around to see if there's
>> something I'm missing.
>>
>> Hmmm.
>
> Nothing's missing, Walt. Modern flashes don't come with the exposure
> guide Bob described. I don't know when they stopped adding that, but I
> suspect whenever the fancy *-TTL flash automation became standard.
> Neither the Pentax AF540 or AF360 have it.

I have a Metz SCA 3000 which begs to differ. Perhaps it's not all that modern,
but does have all the fancy ttl stuff.

I also have an Olympus FL36 which I could have sworn had it, but I've checked,
and it doesn't. I know I've used it manually, so I think it must tell me
something useful on the control panel.

> If you set the flash manually to the same setting as the Guide Nimber
> is quoted for, eg ISO 100, zoom 50mm, then you can determine the
> aperture for a given distance from the subject with this formula:
>
> aperture = GN / distance

I never remember that for some reason. Perhaps there's something to be said for
tattoos after all.