On Jun 1, 2013, at 4:48 AM, Bruce Walker <bruce.wal...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Basically Adobe has discontinued selling the Creative Suite
> (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, etc.) as boxed software. Instead
> they are renting it to us in bundles, like cable TV channel packages.
> So in theory you can get a lot of software for less money per month
> than you used to pay for the entire Creative Suite plus upgrades every
> 1.5 years. That's great for professional graphic artists working for a
> Fortune 500 firm.

Until the accountants tell them they're not allowed it as it comes under
operational expenditure instead of the yearly capital budget :D

> But for free-lance or amateur photographers who just want Photoshop
> for as little moola as possible, and expect to buy it like a book that
> you keep forever, this move amounts to $20/month to Adobe for the rest
> of your creative life. Because when you stop paying, the software
> stops working. Your Adobe proprietary files become unreadable.

I am still highly pissed off at Adobe for shutting down the old Macromedia
activation servers.  I have a copy of the 2004 MX Studio bundle which I can't
even install anymore.  I think that was about $1,000 worth of software which I
would still find very useful if I could install it.

This is why I'm now extremely hesitant to buy any product that relies on a web
service to install or use.

Cheers,
Dave