Hi Collin & David, we normally do not use color filters when shooting
B&W on a DSLR. Reason: todays DSLRs have built in color filters, which
you can use very easily, rather than attaching a filter physically.
So also photo programs like Photoshop have a variety and strengths of
color filters.
But hey, why not have some fun with actual color filters if you have them??
I use Circular Polarizers, Neutral Density & Graduated Neutral Density
Filters with my lenses. And a GND on my Sigma 10-20 SWA is an absolute
must as it covers a huge swath of sky. But using a Polarizer on this
lens can be tricky due to great variation in the sky darkening effect
- not uniformly darkened.
Since I am not a Pro, I have decent mid-cost Circular Polarizers - $
29 to 50, a Hoya Pro1 ND - $ 62 and Cheap Chinese ND & GND Filters - $
4 to 9.
And you bet the cheaper Chinese one are as good as any.
I buy the largest diameter filters and plenty of step down adapter
rings to economize and use them on all my lenses.
Regards.
Bipin - from that far away enchanting land.