On 10 June 2013 20:47, Bipin Gupta <bip...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Collin & David, we normally do not use color filters when shooting
> B&W on a DSLR. Reason: todays DSLRs have built in color filters, which
> you can use very easily, rather than attaching a filter physically.
> So also photo programs like Photoshop have a variety and strengths of
> color filters.
> But hey, why not have some fun with actual color filters if you have them??
> I use Circular Polarizers, Neutral Density & Graduated Neutral Density
> Filters with my lenses. And a GND on my Sigma 10-20 SWA is an absolute
> must as it covers a huge swath of sky. But using a Polarizer on this
> lens can be tricky due to great variation in the sky darkening effect
> - not uniformly darkened.
> Since I am not a Pro, I have decent mid-cost Circular Polarizers - $
> 29 to 50, a Hoya Pro1 ND - $ 62 and Cheap Chinese ND & GND Filters - $
> 4 to 9.

Polarizers and full ND filters are all I use with my DSLRs, I don't
use ND grads for a similar reason that I don't use colour filters when
shooting with intent to render a B&W image. I find the ND grads are
far too inflexible and considering that the likelihood of me using one
without employing a tripod is close to nil I simply shoot a bracket
set then do a simple but effective mask to integrate two or more of
the bracketed images, the resultant composite is generally excellent.

--
Rob Studdert (Digital  Image Studio)
Tel: +61-418-166-870 UTC +10 Hours