----- Original Message -----
From: David Chang-Sang
Subject: RE: Re: Any experience with Fuji NPC?

> All of this stuff will definitely depend on how/where you get
your film
> processed and printed.  As Tom said in this thread,
> the lab will or should be able to give further insight as to
how to rate the
> film.  If you take your film to the local WalMart, see if they
print the NPC
> as you think it should look.  I've done this.... as I have
said.... only
> because I wanted the prints back yesterday (i.e. fast) and
didn't want to
> fork over too much cash for it.  The prints, with NPC of all
things, come
> out flat and lacking for a film that is supposed to be a vivid
color film.
> The funny thing is, I knew that this is how WalMart would
print them, yet I
> never bothered to accomodate for their printing by dropping my
rating to,
> say, 125 or lower so shame on me for that.

Weird. Wal-Mart in Canada prints on Kodak Ektacolor Edge 8
paper, which is the most vivid RA type paper Kodak makes. In the
USA, they use Fuji Crystal Archive, which, if anything, is
punchier than Edge 8. I can't account for the flat results you
got, but it sure as hell wasn't the Wal-Mart printing.
I have found NPC to be a film absolutely lacking in inherent
contrast. The only way I have gotten any life out of the stuff
is to use the 77mm lens, which is very contrasty.
Perhaps you need to look something other than the printing.

William Robb