Thanks, Darren.

I think the focus might have been thrown off when I was squatted down and rocked back on my feet a bit when I lost balance. But, when I saw it in LR, I liked it well enough that I thought I could still use it. And once I warmed the tones just a bit and softened it, I really liked the aesthetic, so I went with it. As in most cases when there's an issue that needs to be diagnosed in my photos, I safely default to ineptitude.

As to right/wrong, correct/flawed dichotomies, I guess I just have a bit of a hidebound viewpoint. That is, if the image could have been better or more effective if done another way, I consider it flawed. I don't generally apply that standard to anyone's work but my own, since I can't really know what someone else had in mind when they were creating their images. But, for my purposes, a little self-recrimination helps to make me a bit more mindful in the future. I want to be a better photographer next week than I was last week, and that's why I offer up my images for critique.

It's nice to get kudos -- I really love it, in fact. I also really love chili dogs. But a steady diet of kudos and chili dogs isn't the best route to self-improvement.

Thanks again, and thanks to Stan and Frank for the suggestions.

-- Walt