Stan -

I have both the Pentax AF-540 and the Metz 58 AF-2. Speaking from using them with the K-X and the K-5:

The light output seems to be pretty close to the same

The Metz seems produce more consistent exposures.

Both can be run wirelessly.

Function changes can be more more quickly with the Pentax using
switches and dials. The Metz is more menu driven. Some users have complained about the use of menus with the Metz.

The Metz has an adjustable secondary flash to use for fill when bouncing the main flash.

The Metz firmware can be updated via USB connection to your computer. The latest upgrade appears to address the K-5 II.

The Metz retains its function settings when it goes you turn it off, the Pentax reverts to P-TTL.

-p