On Mon, Jun 24, 2013 at 10:40:30AM -0400, Stan Halpin wrote:
> I don't use flash often, have never taken time to master the process. But I
> have an upcoming project that provides the incentive to revisit this aspect
> of my photography.
>
> I have the Pentax AF360 FGZ that I bought long ago to pair with my MZ-S and
> which I have used occasionally.
>
> I am considering adding the AF540 FGZ. Two things holding me back at this
> point:
>       a. IIRC Pentax is coming out sometime soon with a replacement for the
> AF540.

I sincerelyhope so.

>       b. I have noted discussions here about Metz and other alternatives.
>
> So, my questions:
>       a. Has anybody heard anything more about if/when and for how much we'll
> have an AF540 replacement?
>       b1. If I go with Metz or other system, do I lose functionality on my
> K-5ii? i.e., will I still have the same capability for wireless triggering,
> the use of two-flash setups, etc?
>       b2. Other than cost, are there any advantages to the Metz or other
> systems?

Cost, reliability, the second bulb on the front, the fact that it doesn't
spontaneously revert to P-TTL, even when set on manual, the ability to
upgrade the firmware.

I had nothing but problems with my AF540, it was sent back for repair twice
in nearly the first year I had it, and I believe once more.  The metz could
use a few more buttons for changing settings, but at least their menus make
sense.  The controls on the AF540 are so arcane they must have been designed
by a schizophrenic Qabalist on acid.  Buttons change meaning depending on
what mode, and things like the difference between SL1 and SL2 are only
intuitive in comparison with remembering how to change between them.

The Metz is also just slightly smaller than the AF540. Not much, but it
seems to make a difference on how easy it is to pack and store.

>       b3. Other than Pentax and Metz, which other alternative brands should I
> look at for good, fully capable, reliable flash in the AF540 range?

Other than trading in your Pentax gear for Nikon? :-)

For the cost of the Metz, you could buy about four of the youngnuos.
Initially they had some quality issues, but those may have been addressed.
I went with the Metz for a reliable primary speedlight, but may eventually
pick up some of the Y's as ancillaries.

--
Larry Colen                  l...@red4est.com         http://red4est.com/lrc