On Jun 28, 2013, at 3:08 PM, Larry Colen <l...@red4est.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 28, 2013 at 03:02:25PM -0400, Gerrit Visser wrote:
>> Usenet, dial up modems starting at 300 baud, acoustic couplers, paper tape
>> punching/reading at 110 baud. Ah, the memories....
>
> You had 300 baud modems?  We had to implement RFC 1149:
> http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1149.txt
>
> What is truly awesome is that some people actually did implement RFC 1149:
> http://www.blug.linux.no/rfc1149/

I was never much of a computer geek, but I did learn to write dial up and
log-in threads on my Apple //c with AE Express. I started delivering digital
docs to Popular Mechanics in the early eighties and spent time on some user
group servers. I remember one group that was based in Jersey called Washington
Apple Tree. Another was the Micronetworked Apple Users Group or MAUG. I think
MAUG eventually evolved into Compuserve.

Paul