Actually I used to subscribe to USENET newsgroups at the first company I worked for that had a direct internet connection, (they also had their own trunk line from the East Coast to California, you could trace email paths from my cube in Connecticut to friends at various Universities on the East Coast, from our office server it would go to our server in California almost instantaneously, then spent the next couple of hours to a day or so wending it's way back to the East Coast through various servers. I don't think I ever used paper tape, and never saw a punch card after graduate school. Though I did work with 75 baud communications, you could read the octal on a protocol analyzer in real time. It's a skill I'm glad I've lost.

On 6/28/2013 3:02 PM, Gerrit Visser wrote:
Usenet, dial up modems starting at 300 baud, acoustic couplers, paper tape
punching/reading at 110 baud. Ah, the memories....

Thank you for providing another sink hole for my time :-)

Gerrit

-----Original Message-----
From: PDML [mailto:pdml-boun...@pdml.net] On Behalf Of Larry Colen
Sent: Friday, June 28, 2013 2:43 PM
To: Pentax-Discuss Mail List
Subject: Re: PESO Muruga's lunch / first K-5II pic

On Fri, Jun 28, 2013 at 02:29:42PM -0400, P.J. Alling wrote:
Manual?  Hell I find it more disturbing that Larry has Cow-orkers.
What are orkers?  That he talks to! What are orkers anyway? Sounds
more like something that a pig would have not a cow...
I guess you aren't old enough to remember usenet:
http://www.catb.org/jargon/html/C/cow-orker.html

BTW, the Jargon files are a wonderfully fun timesuck.

Pick a word, and start following interesting looking links in the
definition:
http://www.catb.org/jargon/html/go01.html

You can even learn about such things as scratch-monkeys:
http://www.catb.org/jargon/html/S/scratch-monkey.html