On Wed, Jul 24, 2013, Larry Colen wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 05:25:40PM -0700, Aahz Maruch wrote:
>>
>> I just can't even visualize the mechanics of manually selecting AF point
>> for handheld shooting, so I figured I'd ask whether anyone does.
>
> If I have my camera set up on a tripod, with a carefully selected
> composition, and I want more accurate focusing than I trust my aged
> eyes for, then it is very handy.  particularly if I can't use something
> like a split prism, because it isn't in the center.

Ayup, I haven't done that much (because I don't use a tripod ;-), but I
can easily imagine it.

> Also, if I am photographing a musician, say a sax player, who is
> moving around, in low light, focus and recompose, or manual focus
> isn't going to work, then I set my focus point, and let autofocus
> do its magic.

Are you setting "shoot on focus" or what?  If the sax player is moving
around, how do you set the focus point?  Are you using tracking focus?
--
Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6                        http://rule6.info/