On Jul 24, 2013, at 7:15 PM, Aahz Maruch <a...@pobox.com> wrote:

Let me rephrase: does anyone actually use manually-selected AF points for
handheld shooting?

Yes, frequently.

It was once explained to me - and this might be of interest to bird-shooters
out there - that setting the camera to continuous AF and dynamic focus area (or
whatever its called that allows the camera to choose among focus points), and
shooting in burst mode... Would allow you to shoot/keep in focus a moving
subject as it travels through the frame...  But the person who told me this
shoots Canon, so... Never tried it, myself... anyone care to comment on that
claim?

It's the AF that tempts me most when my eyes wander to Nikon.... But, I
wouldn't switch for a crop sensor camera...

:)
-c