Doesn't solve that problem. Now they just call you or email you with the same
crap!

Need your carpets cleaned?

I'm thinking of getting another phone line/number that is auto forwarded to the
caller ID of any incoming calls.

Placing your number on the the "Do Not Call" list the FCC runs does absolutely
no good.
If you google one of the numbers that call, you will see websites that listed
the number in 2009 as being in violation of the DNC law.