Keep in mind what David Hobby (The Strobist) often does with a
background: gaffer tapes it to a wall. No stand required. Don't be
tempted to use duct tape -- you shouldn't need to ask why. :-)

I mentioned the backdrop thing to an artist friend and she said it's
fairy easy to create random mottled patterns--it's a stock technique.
I haven't got all the details yet but I gather that armed with a nice
palette of three compatible colours, plus a big brush, rollers and
sponges, you can lay the cloth or paper out on a big floor and go to
town. I figure interior acrylic house paint would do.

A project for another day. I was lucky enough to pick up a 10'x20'
medium grey muslin for $20 a while ago and it's waiting for the right
shoot.

Thanks, Walt!

--
-bmw