that doesn't make someone a snapshooter, and HCB was far from that. His
photos are rigorous in their timing and composition. His sense of geometry
is superb and his nose for the event was exceptional. He was trained in
composition and spent his life among great artists, and indeed is one of
them, so that it was part of his character and being. He was the very
antithesis of the snapshooter, at least as I understand the term, even if he
did take pictures quickly, and even if he was very self-deprecating, not to
say disparaging of photography at times.

> just sayin.
> >
> > They're memories we want (need?) to keep. The important
> images aren't
> > even on the paper.
> >
> Good photographs evoke some sort of memory in us. None of the
> shit that is passed of as "the rules", be it compositional or
> technical, matter a whit if the image doesn't tap into an
> emotional response of some sort.
> What matters is does the image grab some part of you and hold
> on to it.

Good, effective photography (or indeed any of the visual arts) are no
different from writing in that they depend for their effectiveness on some
sort of grammar. Good writing is not, by and large, just a random scattering
of words on a page, presented to the world without any kind of selection
process. It's a process of trying out different arrangements, then selecting
the ones you think have something to offer. Even someone like Pollock, who
relied to some extent on chance and randomness to produce his work, selected
what he showed to the world.

Analysis after the fact will tend to show that the most successful have
certain properties in common, and these properties tend to cluster around
the so-called rules. It follows from this that if you want to be successful
in whatever it is you're trying to do with your photos, or your writing, or
watercolours or elephant dung, you are more likely to be so if you use the
available grammar, or perhaps deliberately abuse it with malice
aforethought, depending on what you and your public thinks success is.

Otherwise any success you may have is an accident and not something you can
hope to repeat except by chance.