Rick Wormer recently posted a very nice PESO:

http://photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=17505433&size=lg

Comments he has received so far mention the good composition. I totally agree -
it is a boffo shot as presented.

However, viewing it quickly brought to mind some mild struggles I have been
having. The recent workshop I attended yielded several shots I have been
motivated to print, and I have started layout of a Blurb book based on that
week's shots. The problem I am having is that many of my compositions, as seen
through the viewfinder and as captured by the sensor, and as viewed on my
monitor, are just about exactly the way I want them. But the format is not an
8x10 nor 11x14 nor 13x17. So I need to print with too wide margins top or
bottom. Same problem with Blurb layouts. Looking at Rick's image, I cannot see
how he would be able to print the image in any standard format; any cropping on
the sides would damage/destroy his composition.

Paper can be trimmed, mats and frames can be custom cut. But it is still a
nuisance.  I would love to have firmware in the camera that would show the
viewing area with an 4x5 ratio (or other selectable ratio) partial mask. Many
P&S cameras have a selectable format ratio when taking the photo;  I wouldn't
want that. But if I am thinking "this shot could make a nice print", I would
like a viewfinder reminder of the area(s) that would correspond to print format
ratios. If I decide on a different presentation mode later, I would still have
the full-frame image to work with, unlike with the P&S approach.

stan