On Fri, Aug 23, 2013, Stan Halpin wrote:

> However, viewing it quickly brought to mind some mild struggles I have
> been having. The recent workshop I attended yielded several shots I
> have been motivated to print, and I have started layout of a Blurb
> book based on that week's shots. The problem I am having is that many
> of my compositions, as seen through the viewfinder and as captured by
> the sensor, and as viewed on my monitor, are just about exactly the
> way I want them. But the format is not an 8x10 nor 11x14 nor 13x17. So
> I need to print with too wide margins top or bottom. Same problem with
> Blurb layouts. Looking at Rick's image, I cannot see how he would be
> able to print the image in any standard format; any cropping on the
> sides would damage/destroy his composition.

Haven't done anything about it yet, but I've been thinking some about
the same issues.  I just crop my images so they look good and when it
comes time to print, I'll print them with the properly-composed crop and
deal with either cutting or whitespace.
--
Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6                        http://rule6.info/