Well, I've resolved the situation partially.

It was time for me to upgrade my MacBook Pro to a newer model anyway
(and pass on my 2006 MBP to Alma) so I've managed to get a 2010 MBP 2.53
(8GB RAM) with the hi-res anti-glare screen in mint condition boxed for
785 GBP. I've ordered a 250GB SSD for it also. I wanted a a model that
would take 10.6.8 as I have some professionally-used apps that I don't
want to meddle with just now. If I get into the realms of a brand new
MBP then I'd have to have one that ran alongside for a while to get
everything upgraded and working. Looking forward to my new toy er I mean
business purchase on Monday!

Meanwhile, the venerable PowerBook G4 is still having screen issues but
this is interesting: Alma was using it plugged up via DVI to an external
monitor and halfway thru a 30 min session, the PB screen springs into
life! Unplugs the DVI connection and both screens go through their
resolution adjustments 0 eg going dark and then popping back again. The
PB screen is now active and useful. It stays on as long as the Mac is
used but when put to sleep and later awoken, won't display anything again.

I'm leaning to a GPU hardward glitch, maybe?

More research needed which I will do this afternoon.

--

Cheers,
  Cotty

___/\__    Broadcast, Corporate,