Hardware problems should appear when the unit gets warm and go away when
it cools down.

An intermittent hardware problem that GOES AWAY when the unit warms up
just doesn't sound right to me.

On 9/2/2013 4:03 AM, Steve Cottrell wrote:
On 1/9/13, steve harley, discombobulated, unleashed:

i don't know of a common such glitch with that model, but my first Intel
Mac, a
2.17GHz Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro, died a slow death from GPU troubles;
apparently
there are bad solder joints that are stressed by thermal expansion; i farmed
the machine out to server duty, and avoided use of OpenGL, and that extended
its life for a couple of years but eventually the condition was fatal

in your case the problem doesn't sound heat-related, unless it doesn't work
well when cool ...

Yes that happened to my 2006 MBP at 3 years in. Fortunately the
condition was a known one and the logic board was replaced by Apple FOC
which was great!

I'm leaning to a switching issue between resolutions, the DVI inserted
'prompts' the PB screen to spring to life....