On 1/9/13, steve harley, discombobulated, unleashed:

>i don't know of a common such glitch with that model, but my first Intel
>Mac, a
>2.17GHz Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro, died a slow death from GPU troubles;
>apparently
>there are bad solder joints that are stressed by thermal expansion; i farmed
>the machine out to server duty, and avoided use of OpenGL, and that extended
>its life for a couple of years but eventually the condition was fatal
>
>in your case the problem doesn't sound heat-related, unless it doesn't work
>well when cool ...

Yes that happened to my 2006 MBP at 3 years in. Fortunately the
condition was a known one and the logic board was replaced by Apple FOC
which was great!

I'm leaning to a switching issue between resolutions, the DVI inserted
'prompts' the PB screen to spring to life....

--

Cheers,
  Cotty

___/\__    Broadcast, Corporate,