On 9/3/2013 11:54 AM, Igor Roshchin wrote:

Hi All,

By virtues of various mishaps and troubles, my laptop ended up
having 8GB of RAM.
However, it has win7-32bit system, which without special hacks cannot
address more than just under 4Gb of RAM.

Those hacks while working for some setups, seem to be having problems
with the HD graphics drivers for Win7 from Intel (and my graphics card
is from Intel).
http://wj32.org/wp/2011/02/23/pae-patch-updated-for-windows-7-sp1/
(and there are couple of others).

So, the alternative way of using that extra memory is to create a
vritual drive in the memory.
One example would be RAMDisk:
http://memory.dataram.com/support/ramdisk-support-center/ramdisk-product-support-faq

This way, I could have 4GB RAMdisk partition, which presumably is about
10 time faster than the SSD I have (~5000 MB/s vs ~400-500 MB/s)
So, my question is: if I wanted to speed up LR on this laptop,
what should I put on that RAMdisk partition?
I can see two possibilities:
1. LR catalog (this would probably include the previews? I am not aware
how I could have the catalog and previews on different drives, could I?)

2. The current photo collection.

If it is #2, the procedure would have to be as follows:
a) From within LR move the imported collection to RAMDisk.
b) Work on it.
c) Move it back.
(This way I don't need to "find" it.)
Is there a better way of accomplishing that?

Any other ideas?

Igor

PS. No, 64-bit OS is not an option at the moment.
I might do that later.

I don't know about Lightroom, but if it was Photoshop, I'd put the
scratch disk (Adobe's swap file?) there. Does Lightroom use a scratch
disk like Photoshop does?

I'm pretty sure whatever you have there will have to be loaded from the
physical disk every time the laptop is started up.

And even if you do go to a 64-bit OS in the future, you might still not
get all of your RAM. I have a Toshiba(4GB max installable RAM) that
could only "see" 3.5GB with the original 32 bit Vista pre-load. With
64-bit Windoze 7 it only sees 3.0GB - the rest is taken by the video
subsystem.

Basically I lost the use of an additional .5GB by switching to 64-bit
Windoze.

Toshiba's tech support is even more USELESS than is Microsoft's.