On Tue, Sep 03, 2013 at 11:54:46AM -0400, Igor Roshchin wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> By virtues of various mishaps and troubles, my laptop ended up
> having 8GB of RAM.
> However, it has win7-32bit system, which without special hacks cannot
> address more than just under 4Gb of RAM.
>
> Those hacks while working for some setups, seem to be having problems
> with the HD graphics drivers for Win7 from Intel (and my graphics card
> is from Intel).
> http://wj32.org/wp/2011/02/23/pae-patch-updated-for-windows-7-sp1/
> (and there are couple of others).
>
> So, the alternative way of using that extra memory is to create a
> vritual drive in the memory.
> One example would be RAMDisk:
> http://memory.dataram.com/support/ramdisk-support-center/ramdisk-product-support-faq
>
> This way, I could have 4GB RAMdisk partition, which presumably is about
> 10 time faster than the SSD I have (~5000 MB/s vs ~400-500 MB/s)
> So, my question is: if I wanted to speed up LR on this laptop,
> what should I put on that RAMdisk partition?

Note carefully the following section of the FAQ you reference above:

  I don't want to lose my data on the RAMDisk, so what must I do?

   In the 'Load and Save' tab, check the box entitled 'Save Disk
   Image on Shutdown'. Also check the 'AutoSave' box, selecting
   the backup interval that meets your needs. Your data will be
   written to the hard drive for safe keeping. Remember, when
   power is removed from RAM memory, the data is lost.

Bear that in mind when you consider what you might want to put there.