On Tue, Sep 10, 2013 at 07:50:59PM -0700, Godfrey DiGiorgi wrote:
> On Sep 10, 2013, at 7:27 PM, Larry Colen <l...@red4est.com> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Sep 10, 2013 at 09:21:21PM -0500, Darren Addy wrote:
> >> There is a bit of a disconnect in recommending a $2200 camera to
> >> someone who just sold their last camera for financial reasons (no
> >> matter how hopefully very temporarily). She also said she is looking
> >> in the $400-600 range for a body.
> >
> > At least he didn't recommend a Leica M9.
> >
> > :-)
>
> Funny.

I thought so.
You don't have to worry until I *stop* teasing. That's the sign I'm mad at you.

> As I said, I didn't recommend even the E-M5 as I suspected it would be well
> over the budget even used.
>
> The Leica M9, of course, does not have any zoom lenses so doesn't meet
> another of Marnie's criteria in the first place. Never mind the price, and
> the fact that it's somewhat larger/heavier than even the Olympus E-M1.

Horses for courses and tools for fools.

If I could justify the money, I'd have an M9, at least
for a little while.  For that matter, I could say the
same about a Corvette.

The K-5 is pretty much on the threshold of what I need in
sensor performance for enough of my photography. For me,
anything that doesn't perform as well is something that I would
buy as a toy, or for a specific application.  It looks as if
the new OM-D will have crossed that threshold.  The last
of u4/3 is nearly there, and if I had the budget I could see
owning a kit for when I need things like low light manual focus,
and fast wide angle lenses.

For me, the size and weight of the K-5 are not problems. I do notice
the difference when I pick up my little stormtrooper (K-x), and there
are times that it would be nice if it were smaller, especially with the
16-50.  When I bought my K100Ds, I saw it as a temporary camera until
I could afford one that met my performance needs, and the K-5 II is
that camera.

It is far from perfect, though most of my complaints could be
solved if they let me have access to the source code and compiler.

> Let's not get into a pointless debate over image quality. I know which system
> I prefer on that score, and I know which one you prefer. Let's leave it
> there: either of these systems can make outstanding photographs, and each has
> its strengths and weaknesses.

Exactly.  I am, however, eagerly awaiting whatever it is that
prompted Ricoh to offer rebates on the K-5.  I don't absolutely
*need* better image quality, but there are certainly some features
that I'd love to have.

--
Larry Colen                  l...@red4est.com         http://red4est.com/lrc