I'm not saying the sky is falling. I'm just being realistic. Ricoh doesn't seem to be any better at marketing than Pentax was. More importantly they don;t actually seem to have any allegiance to high end Cameras as a product. For Pentax cameras and lenses were the heart and soul of the company, even though it wasn't the primary profit center. It defined what Pentax was. Ricoh simply stopped making SLRs one day, for them it was no biggie. That worries me a bit.

You bring up the example of GM and Cadillac, I think a better model is GM and SAAB. SAAB made a car with some unique technologies, a very quirky body style, and owned a couple of factories, and a design house, that designed SAABs. SAABs were something of an acquired taste, but they were relatively unique. GM bought SAAB, integrated them into their European operations so completely that SAAB simply ceased to exist. The unique product became just another high end Opel. GM decided to sell off SAAB after failing to make the mark profitable, but all the new buyer got was a couple of factories that were now tooled to make high end Opels and a name.