I think you mean magnitude, not proportion. I agree: Answering the "what looks
good over the couch?" (or in your case fireplace) generally requires more size.
Which is why I have a 16x35 inch canvas wrap over the sofa in the living room.
Looks lovely ... it's a crop on a 12 Mpixel frame from the GXR. Nobody's walked
up to it with a magnifying glass yet and asked why it didn't have more detail.

Of course, over a set of 7 photos, 8x8 inch matted and framed to 13x13 inch,
looks pretty nice in the bedroom too and covers a similar amount of wall space.
And 49 4.25x3.5" images in small frames could make an impressive display
covering most of my office wall if I so chose... ;-)