> From: steve harley <p...@paper-ape.com>
>
> on 2013-09-22 22:23 Tom C wrote
>> Here's where I coming from on this. To say one's images wouldn't or
>> couldn't benefit from increased resolution is like saying they
>> couldn't benefit by using a finer grained film (in the day) or a
>> higher quality lens.
>
> to me the point is not that there's no increase in resolution, the point is
> not
> to interpret the resolution numbers recklessly

I don't believe I was. I was pointing out that in film days one did
whatever they could to eke out the highest quality image they could
from the system.

I routinely purchased $8/roll Velvia and Provia instead of department
store consumer series film. There was far less testing and data
available regarding benefits of resolution increase/grain decrease
back then compared to now. Kodak threw a monkey-wrench in the mix by
not publishing their film specifications using the same measurement
techniques and scale as the other film producers. The only way to
really achieve a big jump in resolution and dynamic range was to move
to a larger size media.

Many here have upgraded from 6MP (*ist series) to 10MP (K10D) to 14MP
(K20D) to 14MP (K-7) to 16MP (K-5) to 16MP (K-5II). There were valid
reasons to upgrade, besides the modest resolution increases, in most,
if not all those cases.

I had an *istD, K20D, and K-7. Since then I have a 20MP 1" sensor
compact, a 24MP APS-C MILC, and a 36MP DSLR. If anything the
resolution increase I've experienced by looking at other brands is
significantly higher than if I had iterated through the Pentax
offerings.

I guess I don't know what you mean by reckless.

Tom C.