On Oct 2, 2013, at 1:49 PM, Mark Roberts <postmas...@robertstech.com> wrote:

> Steve Cottrell wrote:
>
>> Had an email back from the list saying my post is delayed pending review
>> by Doug - and that my post may contain 'administriva'.
>>
>> Can someone please tell me what in tarnation is this?
>
> I need an adequate definition of "tarnation" first.
> (Seriously, I've always wondered what "tarnation" means.)

tarnation: used in exclamations as a euphemism for "damnation". Origins in the
late 18th century.

administrivia: becoming common shorthand for "administrative trivia", trans.:
"here's a bunch of miscellaneous facts and directives you need to know about X
that you want to use/learn/operate/enjoy/etc.".

tarnish: a film or stain formed on the exposed surface of a metal or mineral
whether through oxidation or other chemical reaction.

Your friendly dictionary reader,