On Thu, Oct 03, 2013 at 05:50:27PM +0100, Steve Cottrell wrote:
> Okay folks here's a question I'll throw to the floor.
>
> I've finally been able to mount a fully manual wide angle lens onto my
> Fuji X-E1 and I was testing with it this afternoon.
>
> For the curious, this is what the combo looks like:
>
> <http://pdml.posthaven.com/fuji-and-wide>
>
> BUT if I try and 'zone' focus with it, the background is out of focus.
>
> Facts: lens is M39 mount and mates to camera via a M39-to-Fuji X (FX)
> adaptor. Camera set to Auto so you offer it some light through the lens
> and it will correctly calculate the exposure. This is flawless. Lens set
> at (say) f/16, and infinity mark on focus barrel is moved to the f/16
> mark so that everything between the two f/16 marks should be in focus
> according to depth of field.
>
> Result: foreground is sharp, everything from about 20 feet away to
> infinity is soft.

If you set up posts at known spacing, open it up to full aperture,
then set the focus to various distances, do the posts in focus
match the focus point on the lens?

> However: if I leave the infinity mark at maximum focus (eg lens set to
> infinity focus), and stop down to (say) f/16, then everything from about
> 2 feet away to infinity is in sharp focus!

http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html

14mm f/16 hyperfocal distance of 2.06 ft, set focus to 2.1 ft
Subject distance        2.1 ft

Depth of field
Near limit      1.04 ft
Far limit       Infinity
Total   Infinite

In front of subject     1.1 ft
Behind subject          Infinite

Hyperfocal distance     2.06 ft
Circle of confusion     0.02 mm

Set subject distance to
Subject distance        99999999 ft

Depth of field
Near limit      2.01 ft
Far limit       Infinity
Total   Infinite

In front of subject     99999997 ft
Behind subject          Infinite

Hyperfocal distance     2.06 ft
Circle of confusion     0.02 mm

However, note that if you set the focal distance to 2.00 feet,
DoF only goes to about 70 feet
Subject distance        2 ft

Depth of field
Near limit      1.01 ft
Far limit       72.5 ft
Total   71.5 ft

In front of subject     1 ft (1%)
Behind subject          70.5 ft (99%)

Hyperfocal distance     2.06 ft
Circle of confusion     0.02 mm

Set it to 1.9 feet
Subject distance        1.9 ft

Depth of field
Near limit      0.99 ft
Far limit       24.6 ft
Total   23.6 ft

In front of subject     0.9 ft (4%)
Behind subject          22.7 ft (96%)

Hyperfocal distance     2.06 ft
Circle of confusion     0.02 mm

My guess is that you are lining up on one end of the infinity sign,
and need to line up on the other.  It seems that that close to the
hyperfocal distance, small differences can make big changes to the
far limit of sharpness

--
Larry Colen                  l...@red4est.com         http://red4est.com/lrc