I am told that "poutine" is Quebec French slang for "mess", although I'd not
heard the word before the "cheesy comestible" became popular.

Gravy on fries has long been popular round about these parts. It seems that a
greasy spoon somewhere south of Montreal decided to add cheese curds to the mix
and while the resulting concoction was proclaimed delicious it was also derided
for it's messiness, hence the name.

About 20 years ago it spread into the rest of Canada and is now a much-loved
(if extremely unhealthy) delicacy.

You were, of course, correct, Marnie: Bob W. was indeed full of male bovine
faeces.

;-)

Cheers,
frank