So... as a parent who does shoot a fair amount of photos of kids at
games,  recitals, etc., I think I understand what you are driving at.
I do not want to be in the position of feeling taken advantage of, or
taken for granted as the "community photographer."  Especially since,
I am a photographer in my community, and I would like people in my
community to occasionally pay me for taking photographs.  Here is how
I approach photo-taking & sharing at these kind of events:

- Unless asked (paid) to shoot an event, I attend, and shoot, as a
parent. I'm taking photos of my kid, and his/her friends.  I shoot for
the enjoyment, the family album, and the practice.  Once or twice a
season, I will try to get photos of everyone at the track meet, for
example... just as a courtesy, or contribution, to the
team/organization that my child is part of... I share a link to the
photos on my website, in web-size, often with my watermark.  Kids &
families can share, link, download, post to facebook, whatever. They
can order prints, too... which rarely happens, btw.

-That should tell you something right there.  Even well-executed
photos of kids  (or dancers) doing their thing, aren't really selling
like hotcakes.  (Unless you are a pro, hired to shoot the
competition/performance, and you are hard-selling parents on prints
before they leave the event. I'm not interested in that.)  So, I don't
spend a ton of time making these photos for others.

-Often at these events, there is someone (a parent), who is in charge
of getting photos of the team doing their thing... that's fine. (see
above, why nobody buys photos)   I try very hard not to be that
parent.  They are there at every event, shooting away, and then
usually dump their images onto the team website.  Those images are
different than mine... they are fine snapshots, but not what you or I
would want to show as representative of our work.  (If I can say so
without being arrogant) I like to think that how I share & present my
images communicates that I value them differently.

-For friends... actual friends... I will share digital files for
printing, or send them prints.

So... my advice to you (it's worth what it costs) is shoot as much as
you like at dance events.  Process & post as much as you want, as much
as you feel it is worth.    But no more than that.

:)
-c