On 10/8/2013 1:13 PM, Bob W wrote:
On 8 Oct 2013, at 19:04, Walt <ldott...@gmail.com> wrote:
FWIW, I read through the entire thing without a problem. Though, admittedly, I
am a pretty wordy writer.

Still, it just doesn't strike me as all that out-of-place to muse at some
length on-topic in the context of a discussion list, or even on Facebook for
that matter, since they truncate comments and provide a link to the full
content for anyone who cares to read the whole thing.

I think the tendency among many readers toward a "tl;dr" or "OMG, it's full of
words!" reaction to internet commentary that goes on for more than 250 words is lamentable in
a lot of ways. And if we can't go on and on about things we have a passion for, it seems to me
we're robbing ourselves of some of the joy in having passions at all.
Everybody's entitled to go on and on about anything they want.

But if you want people to read it, make it easy for them. There are many tried
and tested ways of doing that. Unless you're Joyce or Kerouac (and even
then...) a colossal brain dump is rarely one of them.

One of the lamentable consequences of the "tl;dr" trend is that three minutes of reading is now considered a colossal brain dump.

-- Walt