On 10/26/2013 9:22 AM, Godfrey DiGiorgi wrote:
On Oct 26, 2013, at 5:16 AM, Bruce Walker <bruce.wal...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Sat, Oct 26, 2013 at 2:07 AM, Chris Mitchell
<chris.mitch...@which.net> wrote:
Dunno about the mic, but Audacity is a great mixing software. Free, too.

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Agree with Audacity. An excellent piece of freeware. I'd recommend the
Zoom range of portable digital recorders. Quality mics and SD card.
I've got the more up market H4N, but there's one to suit every budget.
Agree with Audacity and especially the Zoom recorders. Super flexible,
great fidelity. Sensitive, near studio quality mics inside. I bought
an H2 for my wife who has used it extensively over the last few years
for doing interviews and during practice sessions for her CD.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zoom_H2
Another Audacity/Zoom H2 user here, since 2005.

I recently added an Olympus LS-7 PCM Linear recorder to my bag too. It's much
smaller, lighter; the sound quality is right there with the Zoom and the
controls are a little nicer.

Thanks for the suggestions, Bruce, Chris and Godfrey.

I'll do a little comparison shopping and see where I land on the options. I've still got some practicing to do, as my strumming and singing are still a tad halting when I try to do them together, so I have a little time. But I'm making much better progress than I'd expected. In fact, I think my guitar playing by itself is better than it was when I stopped years ago. But, I never sang in front of anyone until about a year ago, let alone try to play and sing at the same time.

-- Walt