On 11/5/2013 12:45 AM, Bill wrote:
My A*600/6.6 came with a great big Tamron UV filter on it, which
considering how much I paid for the bloody lens, I decided to leave on.
I couldn't get a sharp image out of that lens no matter how hard I tried.
I wrote it off to having insufficient tripod and head, though I was
using it on a Zone VI wood tripod and whatever the big Zone VI head is
(some sort of rebadged Manfrotto). Eventually I twigged to the
possibility the filter was causing the problem so I removed it, and
viola! instant sharpness.
My wife has a little statuette of a Rottweiler puppy that now uses the
122mm Tamron filter as a display base.

bill

I had similar problem with one of my lenses - it flared for as long as I had a rather cheap filter attached to it. Once removed, I kind of learned the hard way that the lens was rather flare resistant.