The manual for the A*300/2.8 doesn't say that it requires a filter in
there. I imagine if a place holder was required by the A*300, it would
have been supplied along with the lens.

I have a Sigma 300/2.8 that came with a "filter" in there. Also came
with a polarizer that fit in there & a pocket in the case to hold
whichever wasn't in the slot in the lens.