On 08/11/2013 11:11 AM, Eric Weir wrote:

Thanks to all who responded on this thread. Other matters needing my
attention—and the sheer number of responses—caused me to leave the discussion
alone for a while. But I really do appreciate all the input, the diversity of
it included. I consider myself a bit more educated than I was before, which
means I have to decide for myself. But now I some idea of the things that need
to be taken into consideration.

FWIW, I exchanged the 67mm haze filter for two 49mm clear coated filters and
will use them with a hood. Perhaps at some point I will experience a problem
with flaring, at which point I’ll reconsider.

Take a picture with the filter in place. Remove the filter and take another picture. If you use a lens hood, it should be mounted for both pictures. Compare the pictures. This is one of those things where pixel level investigation is actually useful. If you see no, or negligible difference, then keep on with the filter. If it is causing image degradation, decide when to use it, or more to the point, when not to use it.

bill