----- Original Message -----
From: TM
Subject: New lister and some questions (long- sorry)

> Hi,
> I just wanted to say hello, as a brand-new subscriber to the
list.

> Being a Pentax user from day one (my father has Pentax SLRs
that
> I've kind of inherited), I'm looking to add to my current
equipment so
> that I can effectively use what I have available to me as well
as
> increase my equipment.
>
> My primary SLR is a Pentax Super-A, but I only have one lens
for it-
> a 35-70 SMC-A f/4. I obviously need some more lenses- a wide
angle and
> a telephoto to start off with and could use some help in
selecting
> lenses.
>
> I'm not a serious photographer, so please bear with me and the
> newbie/idiot
> questions.

Are you a frivolous photographer?

> What would be a good 24mm wide angle lens that isn't
ultra-expensive?
> I'm
> on a budget and would like to keep the lens at $200 or less,
if
> possible,
> used, in excellent condition. I don't know if this is possible
at that
> budget.

I bet K and A 24mm lenses get pricey<G>.
Tamron makes a nice manual focus 24mm, as does Sigma. I don't
think Sigmas are as well built as Tamrons. Something to consider
if you are tough on equipment.

> Also, I'm looking for something like a 80-200mm zoom or
100-300mm. Any
> suggestions
> for a decent inexpensive zoom, again hopefully under $200?

SMCP-A 80-200 f/4 is very good. Might be reasonable price. The
Takumar version is to be laid down and avoided. Tamron 80-210
f/3.8, like this one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1343689187
are quite good. This one looks a bit beaten on.

> I couldn't find a whole lot of info on winders, but seeing
that I could
> use
> either the Motor Drive A or the Winder ME-II w/ the Super-A,
which one
> would
> you suggest I try to find and purchase and why? My primary
interest is
> motorsports
> photography, which is why I'd like the motor drive as my
conception is
> that the
> motor drive will allow me to shoot more photographs more
quickly than by
> manually
> winding each frame.

The motor will do an extra frame and a bit per second.

> Another thing I'm not too clear on is whether I need to
purchase a
> battery pack
> separately from the Motor Drive or whether that is included as
it would
> seem to
> me that you need a power source for the motor drive, right?

An 8AA battery pack should be included with the drive. The
winder has a built in battery compartment.

> I'd also like to get a TTL flash and am thinking about getting
the
> AF280- is
> that a good choice or should I look at something else?
Anything I should
> be careful
> of in terms of compatibility- it seems as though this flash
should work,
> but I'm
> not sure if there were variations in the model over the years.

AF 280 is a very good flash. If you want to get away from the
deer caught in the headlights effect, consider a separate flash
gun, such as the AF400T, or a Metz 45 or 60 series. The Metz 60
has the advantage of being able to compete with the sun for
light output.

> One last thing- I have an old screw-mount Spotmatic that
doesn't work
> properly-
> the shutter speed is inaccurate. The local camera shop said
it's not
> worth fixing,
> as it could cost quite a bit to fix and that doesn't guarantee
that it
> will last-
> he mentioned that the meters on these cameras go bad quite
often and
> that the batteries
> that power the meter are no longer made and the new equivalent
doesn't
> work as well?
> I'm thinking that if it's no good to repair, I'll just retire
the
> Spotmatic and
> use the screw mount adapter on my Super A, possibly buy
another Super A
> or something
> similar as a backup body so I can use the nice screwmount
lenses that I
> already
> have. Or I could get a new ZX-M to use, but I'm not sure if
that's
> a good choice, considering that something like a ZX-5n or ZX-L
isn't
> that expensive.
> The autofocus isn't critical for me as I'm used to
manual-focus cameras
> and AF in
> the cheaper cameras doesn't always work well, IME.

Get a second opinion on the Spotmatic. Your repair guy is
correct about the batteries. Have you tested the shutter for
linearity? Don't get an MZ-5 with the idea of using manual
focus. The viewfinder and screen are OK for framing, but
terrible for focusing. I would hope the ZX-M has a better
screen.
Don't overlook a nice Program Plus also. They are a pretty nice
little camera. They don't seem as bouncy as the Super Program,
but I haven't formally tested that theory.
Where I am, there are about a dozen ME-Supers for sale. They
aren't all that expensive.

William Robb