On Thu, Jan 23, 2014 at 05:02:04PM -0500, Paul Stenquist wrote:

> On Jan 23, 2014, at 4:58 PM, Ann Sanfedele <ann...@nyc.rr.com> wrote:
>
> > Maybe I'm misusing the term meta-data..  if I save for web in
> > adobe photoshop 5.0 the camera data disappears. so perhaps camera data is
> > not "meta-data”
> >
> You were correct. The camera data is meta data. I just don’t see the point of
> saving it when posting to the web. But I’m sure there are situations where
> it’s desirable.

Several reasons:

When looking at photos on flickr, particularly via fluidr, it can be
interesting to see what the settings were.

The meta data can make it easier to find when someone "steals" one of
your photos, if they don't clear it out.

If someone likes one of your photos, things like the date in the metadata
can help you find the original in your raw data storage, particularly
if they just send you the (possibly renamed) jpeg that they downloaded
off the web.

--
Larry Colen                  l...@red4est.com         http://red4est.com/lrc