Hi JCO,

On Thu, 11 Apr 2002 02:45:14 -0400, J. C. O'Connell wrote:

>Did Pentax make a high performance
>K mount 2X teleconvertor for long lenses?
>I want one to try on my SMCK 1000mm
>F8.

I think the 'best' one quality wise would be the "rear converter-A 2X-L"
This is a large (over 2 inches long) converter designed for the A* long
lenses like the 300mm f/2.8 and the 400mm f/2.8.
It has a large lens-diameter to avoid any vignetting with those lenses.

I am not sure they will fit the 1000mm because they have a 'snout' that
goes over half an inch INTO the lens you are putting it on.

>If not Pentax, who made the best one?
>I dont care about meter coupling,
>I'll be using manual exposure.

Bad luck here :-)  These A converters (there is a 1.4X as well) have full
coupling for any A type lens.

I disadvantage is that they are expensive (well over $300 US I think) and
are somewhat hard to find.  B&H always used to have them new too.

Regards, JvW